|Data & Tools||Publications||Training|
What is it?
Reliability growth is what occurs when failure modes/mechanisms are identified, but only after their root causes are physically eliminated or mitigated in a design/process. It should start early in the design phase and continue through the entire life cycle. Reliability growth planning and management controls reliability achievement as a function of available resources and reallocates resources based on comparisons between planned/measured reliability at strategic milestones.
What’s the payoff?
Provides increased confidence that reliability requirements can be met. It asserts control over how reliability growth occurs, how robust a design/process needs to be to achieve it, and what resources are necessary to implement it. The net result is an overall reduction in product/system Total Life Cycle and Total Ownership Costs.
How can we help?
- Develop a Reliability Program that implements reliability growth management principles early in the design and development process
- Perform analyses and make recommendations that achieve continuous reliability growth throughout the life cycle
- Develop reliability growth planning curves, track actual reliability growth against those curves, and project future reliability using current reliability growth models
- Develop customized tools/databases for planning/tracking reliability growth
- QuART PROThe QuART software series represents the fourth generation of the highly popular "Reliability Toolkit" series of RMQ engineering aids originated in 1988 by Quanterion personnel while working at the Rome Laboratory (formerly Rome Air Development Center).
- QuART ER (Enhancing Reliability)This 2011 release features over 2 dozen new or improved tools over QuART PRO. QuART ER updates more than 10 tools and adds more than 15 new tools to the tool set available in QuART PRO, including the "Ask a Quanterion Expert" function that allows users to direct their reliability questions to an ASQ certified reliability expert at Quanterion.
- Reliability Toolkit: Commercial Practices EditionThe “Reliability Toolkit: Commercial Practices Edition” helps both the commercial and military sectors deal with developing and manufacturing reliable products in today’s competitive markets. Over 80 topics, representing every aspect of a product’s reliability over its life cycle, have been well received by thousands of Toolkit owners to date.
- System Reliability Toolkit-VThe System Reliability Toolkit provides technical guidance in all aspects of system reliability, addressing both software reliability and human factors to better reflect the changing requirements of defense community.
- Practical Applications of the RIAC System Reliability ToolkitThe purpose of this publication is to provide illustrative examples of the more common mathematical calculations and statistical techniques utilized by reliability engineers in the practical performance of their daily activities. It is intended to be used as a companion to the RIAC “System Reliability Toolkit”, as the foundations of all of the techniques illustrated in this publication are discussed therein.
- Achieving System Reliability Growth Through Robust Design and TestThis book offers new definitions of how failures can be characterized, and how those new definitions can be used to develop metrics that will quantify how effective a Design for Reliability (DFR) process is in (1) identifying failure modes and (2) mitigating their root failure causes.
- Reliability GrowthReliability growth is the improvement in a product’s reliability that results from the elimination or mitigation of the root causes of an item’s identified failure modes.” Stated another way: “Reliability growth is the improvement in a reliability parameter over a period of time due to changes in the product design or in operation, maintenance and manufacturing practices caused by the successful identification and correction of deficiencies in an item’s design or manufacture.”
- Design of Experiments for Reliability ImprovementMany times we want to improve Reliability (or other Quality characteristics) by way of increasing positive and reducing negative factor effects that influence performance.
- Introduction to Reliability GrowthReliability Growth is the use of various activities to eliminate failure modes for a design, often in the past considered limited to Reliability Growth Testing. This module aims at introducing the student to the concept of reliability growth going beyond testing. It seeks to explain which reliability practices contribute to reliability growth and which do not. It discusses reliability growth opportunities throughout the product lifecycle, and common reliability growth test models are also introduced.